Some explicit questions about the ziphone unlock (2.0):

If I upgrade my iPhone to 1.1.3 via iTunes, I presume it upgrades the BL and modem firmware. I've been statying at 1.1.1/BL3.9 using TurboSIM.

If i then use ZiPhone, I understand it downgrades the modem firmware (but keeps BL 4.6 unless I request to downgrade). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Explicit Questions:

1. Using the default -v -a -j -u, will the resulting unlocked 1.1.3 iPhone work COMPLETELY like a real 1.1.3 iphone (including Google location, Wifi, YouTube)?

2. WHY would anyone downgrade to BL 3.9: what advantage is there? Also, if you downgrade to 3.9, do you lose any 1.1.3 functionality (eg. Google maps locate?)

3. Does this new unlock method cause any permanent damage to the firmware (ie can I restore to VIRGIN, UNLOCKED state using iTunes)? I was stung by the original seczone unlock by devteam thus stayed away and used TurboSIM to keep things pristine.
    1. use version 2.1 and select downgrade bootloader to 3.9. This will flash the baseband to 4.03 and activate the Locate Me feature of 1.1.3. If you do not use this option the baseband will be flashed BACK to 4.02.

2. the advantage of downgrading - see answer #1

3. ZiPhone does not touch the secpack so you can restore to virgin status.
    2008-02-15 02:41 AM
    Well I took the jump to answer my own curiosity. Here are my findings:

Starting iPhone: 1.1.1 with 3.9 BL, NOT unlocked (used TurboSIM) but jailbroken and a bunch of installer.app programs installed.

Upgraded to 1.1.3 via iTunes as a restore, wiping out all my old Installer apps.

Used ZiPhone 2.2 on OSX, selecting "jailbreak, activate, unlock" as the only options.

SUCCESS with a Rogers SIM in Canada.

All working including:
    Phone in/out
    Voicemail speed dial (no visual voicemail obviously)
    SMS in/Out
    EDGE data working
    Google maps LOCATE working!
    Youtube Working
    Mail working
    Widgets: Stocks & Weather working
    WiFi working

Bluetooth not yet tested

Using bbinfo from trejan.com:
    Bootloader is STILL 3.9 (yay!) - I guess I was wrong that the iTunes restore does NOT change the bootloader to 4.6.
    Modem Firmware: 4.03.13_G

I tried another Restore w/o backup to see if I can restore virgin status:
    1. It does wipe out the contents of the iPhone as expected
    2. BUT the unlock is STILL present. Thus, the unlock DOES NOT get removed on restore (which I would actually have preferred restore to wipe all traces of hacking away since its so easy to unlock now).

Anyone know how to remove the unlocks done by ZiPhone (or AnySIM 1.3)?

Anyways, hapy overall with the results! Great work, Zibri.
    2008-02-15 06:54 AM
    Hey guys, Please help out an Australian

I bought an iPhone from France in december 2007.

It is locked to 'Orange', but i want it to work on my vodafone simcard.

I think it was 1.1.2 from the shop, but i foolishly updated to 1.1.3 in itunes, and now i want to unlock it so i can use my vodafone sim, and all the features and widgets..

is this method for me? or is there another method? or is it not possible yet??

Thanks very much!!
    2008-02-17 05:48 AM
    I have a 8gb 1.1.2. i used ziphone to jailbreak, activate, and unlock.
    it unlock the phone to work with t-mobile. I tried to use ibrowser, it would not see any of the folders, it said to jailbreak it. I thought i did it?
    any ideas what i need to do to jailbreak 1.1.2.
    thanks
    2008-02-17 05:48 PM
    OK, i tried Ziphone, and it worked magically and sooo quick!

Everything seems to work wonders, except Youtube!! Is there any method i can do to get You Tube back?

Thanks!
    2008-02-18 05:27 AM
    Well, I used Ziphone 2.4, it wouldnt finish the process and now my phone only boots to a scrolling terminal. Will not go to DFU, is not recognized by itunes or ziphone. Pretty much bricked as much as possible. What can I do.....
    2008-02-18 09:07 AM
    Well, follow up to my calamity. I gave my phone to try to fix on his mac. 10 minutes later he came back with a factory fresh iphone after fully restoring it with itunes to 1.1.3. He did note that it initially wasnt recognized by itunes, but then did a full homebutton/power button hold reset (not sure if that would be considered dfu) while it was connected with USB cable, and it was then recognized as needing a restore. I am a happy person again
    2008-02-18 07:10 PM
    Hi all I have a 1.1.2 week 44 Iphone that is unlocked and jailbroke. I am trying to find out which BL I have. can anyone help me? Should I just assume I have the 3.9 BL and run Ziphone for 3.9? I looked for the HW info file in Installer but can not find it.

Thanks Agent crf250
    2008-02-18 08:12 PM
    Well, follow up to my calamity. I gave my phone to try to fix on his mac. 10 minutes later he came back with a factory fresh iphone after fully restoring it with itunes to 1.1.3. He did note that it initially wasnt recognized by itunes, but then did a full homebutton/power button hold reset (not sure if that would be considered dfu) while it was connected with USB cable, and it was then recognized as needing a restore. I am a happy person again
    2008-02-18 10:06 PM
    Hi all I have a 1.1.2 week 44 Iphone that is unlocked and jailbroke. I am trying to find out which BL I have. can anyone help me? Should I just assume I have the 3.9 BL and run Ziphone for 3.9? I looked for the HW info file in Installer but can not find it.

Thanks Agent crf250
    I would say you probably have BL 3.9, but the cut off is week 45 I think. So that's a pretty close call. Pretty risky to do the downgrade, then upgrade. The new versions of ziphone will work with both bootloaders. So, just make sure it's in DFU mode, then start the program and you'll be set! To put it in DFU mode, turn it off. Then hold the home button+connect to computer and keep pressing home button until cable and itunes logo appears. There should be no signal bars and no slider on the bottom. If you see signals bar, slider and battery, you are not in dfu mode. Also, make sure you uninstall itunes 7.6 completely, restart computer, and install 7.5. This is manditory. It will not work with 7.6. Don't worry about your itunes library not showing up. The two library files are saved in My Documents/iTunes folder. They will stay there so when you are finished with ziphone, uninstall 7.5 and reinstall 7.6 and BANG, your library is still in tact. 7.5 will not recognize a 7.6 library. It just doesn't work. Good luck! PM me if you have questions.

I used ziphone 2.0 GUI on a OTB 1.1.3 on windows XP and it worked like a freaking charm.

I used ziphone 2.0 GUI on a OTB 1.1.3 on windows XP and it worked like a freaking charm.
    Last edited by dicksharard; 2008-02-18 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Everyday is a New Day...
    2008-02-18 10:43 PM
    Ok A couple of more questions for you.
    Thanks for your help first off.
    Can I do my restore upgrade for my phone in 7.6 Itunes then downgrade to 7.5? (where can i find 7.5)
    After I upgrade/restore to 1.1.3 then connect to Itunes 7.5 run Ziphone but leave the Unlock feature unchecked and Unlock with Anysim 1.3 correct?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AgentCRF250 View Post

Thanks Agent crf250
    I would say you probably have BL 3.9, but the cut off is week 45 I think. So that's a pretty close call. Pretty risky to do the downgrade, then upgrade. The new versions of ziphone will work with both bootloaders. So, just make sure it's in DFU mode, then start the program and you'll be set! To put it in DFU mode, turn it off. Then hold the home button+connect to computer and keep pressing home button until cable and itunes logo appears. There should be no signal bars and no slider on the bottom. If you see signals bar, slider and battery, you are not in dfu mode. Also, make sure you uninstall itunes 7.6 completely, restart computer, and install 7.5. This is manditory. It will not work with 7.6. Don't worry about your itunes library not showing up. The two library files are saved in My Documents/iTunes folder. They will stay there so when you are finished with ziphone, uninstall 7.5 and reinstall 7.6 and BANG, your library is still in tact. 7.5 will not recognize a 7.6 library. It just doesn't work. Good luck! PM me if you have questions.

2008-02-19 09:54 PM
    Ok A couple of more questions for you.
    Thanks for your help first off.
    Can I do my restore upgrade for my phone in 7.6 Itunes then downgrade to 7.5? (where can i find 7.5)
    After I upgrade/restore to 1.1.3 then connect to Itunes 7.5 run Ziphone but leave the Unlock feature unchecked and Unlock with Anysim 1.3 correct?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AgentCRF250 View Post

Thanks Agent crf250

You are welcome! To answer your questions: Yes, upgrade your phone with itunes 7.6, then unistall 7.6, reboot, and install 7.5 here:

http://filehippo.com/download_itunes/3402/

Turn your iphone off using the top button and red slider. Then with phone off, press the home button and connect to your computer. Keep home button pressed until cable and itunes logo appear. Phone should be in special DFU mode. When I attempted this, itunes was closed, as was ituneshelper.exe. Next start the ZiPhone 2.0 GUI and check activate, jailbreak, and verbose reboot. Then start. Once completed, installer app to install anysim, and you're good as gold. Make sure you are in airplane mode when you use anysim!!!! Also, what OS are you using? My only experience with this is in XP. Just so you know.
    Everyday is a New Day...
    2008-02-19 10:27 PM
    I am rocking OS X and Have version 2.4 of Ziphone! I an going to downgrade my Itunes to 7.5. Thanks again!!
    2008-02-19 10:34 PM
    you don't need to use iTunes 7.5 anymore. 7.6 will work aswell =]

If you're still hving problems check out snorkrat.blogspot.com for easy/failsafe step-by-step guide to upgrading using ZiPhone.
    2008-02-20 12:17 PM
    i started with a otb 1.1.1 which i first activated 22 nov 2007 but accidently updated to 1.1.2 straight away because i didnt know what to do then.Since then i did have it jailbreaked and worked fine,again i accidently updated to 1.1.3.Ziphone jailbreaks but when i install game packs in iphysics they install but dont show up and play when in iphysics.Ive tried the other way nate true one but at end of it all i dont get my 02 signal back,im running a 02 contract sim that came with iphone.Any help please to jailbreak so everything works great again on 1.1.3
    2008-02-20 01:18 PM
    Snorkrat, and others...THANK YOU.

I had some difficulties with my 16 gig using the ziphone 2.0 gui (and cmd line). It seemed to hang on some of the steps.

Followed Snorkrat's instructions, updated to the ziphone 2.4b, and ran it on the cmd.

Worked like a charm. For other's benefit that have a 16 gig, here's what I did with my computer that finally made it update/unlock.

XP
    iTunes 7.5.0.20
    Ziphone 2.4b

Then, I started with the instructions snorkrat posted on his/her blog starting with Step 11. I started their since iTunes told me that I had 1.1.3.

I am happy to report I'm now jailbroken, activated, and unlocked. AND running on tMobile.

Thank you to everyone that posted in this thread!!!!
    2008-02-21 05:38 AM
    I tried another Restore w/o backup to see if I can restore virgin status:
    1. It does wipe out the contents of the iPhone as expected
    2. BUT the unlock is STILL present. Thus, the unlock DOES NOT get removed on restore (which I would actually have preferred restore to wipe all traces of hacking away since its so easy to unlock now).

Anyone know how to remove the unlocks done by ZiPhone (or AnySIM 1.3)?

Anyways, hapy overall with the results! Great work, Zibri.
    My phone is acting funky and i want to know how to lock it back up and basically virginize it 2 cuz just doing a simple restore or update does not accomplish this.....pleas someone help!!!
    2008-02-21 11:38 AM
    I have read this post backwards and forwards and I'm at school atm, but it seems that I can go out right now! Buy and Iphone! use the software and it will be unlocked. Because That's what I'm about to do. I swear I'll do it, don't test me...............seriously i have t-mobile and I've been researching real hard and there didn't seem to be a way to unlock 1.1.3 otb. Is it really that simple?
    2008-02-21 05:58 PM
    Yes, it's really that simple. If you need help, IM me at (that's google chat) [email protected]. I helped a guy yesterday who just bought one and he was a total beginner. Didn't even know how to turn the damn thing off. So, my services are here for the taking. I wish someone had helped me when I was firts hacking the iphone.
    Everyday is a New Day...
    2008-02-21 06:12 PM
    Ok I have a 1.1.3 unlocked I phone. For some reason I can not get it to jailbreak! I did a restore from itunes 7.6 ran Ziphopne 2.4 checked all three boxes for Act, Jailbreak and unlock at the same time. Ziphone gave me a error sat Erroe 1 and no jail break but unlocked my phone and I have service.

Anyone have any ideas of what I need to do to get my phone jailbroke?
    2008-02-22 05:55 PM
85 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD